Wednesday, April 1, 2009

God First, Others Second, I'm Third

I often wonder how many minutes...more like hours of the day spending thinking about myself. Better yet, I don't really want to know that number because it would probably scare me. Now I'm not going to speak for everyone, but I think a lot of people have this problem. We live in a materialistic culture that tells us what we don't have enough, what we have isn't good enough, or that we aren't good enough. A lot of times, we'll give up things to make our lives easier or better, but when it comes the time to give up the same thing to help someone else, we aren't always too happy about it.

1 Chronicles 16:11 says, "Seek the Lord and his strength, seek his presence continually." We're called to always seek his face, but I don't think I focus on that as much as I should in my day-to-day life.

Some of you may have heard the saying "God First, Others Second, I'm Third." Think about it. How many of us can honestly say that we prioritize our lives in this order 100% all day, everyday? I'd be willing to bet that most of us wish we did, but we can't say we honestly do 24/7. Matthew 6:33 says, "But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well." This verse is in the Sermon on the Mount, and Jesus calls us "not to store up money and riches on earth (6:19-24), not to worry about the future (6:25-34), to refrain from self-righteous judgement (7:1-5), and to go to God for all our needs (7L7-11)."

I think that if we truly believed this, we wouldn't be rolling our eyes when it comes to helping someone else when it's not according to our schedules. God is always there for us. No worries. Go out of your way to do something nice for someone today. 

"God First, Others Second, I'm Third."

Lord, help us to live in this world, but not to be OF this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers