Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Example

While I was getting ready for bed, my roommate, Kayla, and I were talking about growing up in the youth group. I totally forgot how we got on the topic of looking up to certain people when we were young, but somehow we did. When you were young, did you ever look at an upper classman in high school and want to be just like them? I'll admit that I did. I always thought, no one is ever going to look up to me like that.

During the week of graduation, we had a time in the youth group for graduating seniors to receive notes from the younger teens. It was sort of like an "I'm gonna miss you" session. One of the sophomore girls that I had recently become really close to decided to write me a letter. She told me how she had always looked up to me and said that I was her role model. Role Model? Me? Immediately I went back to the time when I was her age and looked at certain people like that, and now that person was me. Wow. 

I'm not perfect. No one is perfect. Being told that you are someone's role model is one of the best honors that you can get in my opinion, but it's so undeserved. I know, then especially, I should never had been labeled as a role model for anyone. I guess you could say it taught me a huge lesson...

Living your life as an example is Biblical. Christ did it. Everything He did was meant to teach His followers how to live a Christian life. No one else can teach us that. He is perfection. No one can hold a flame to Christ, but the least we can do is to live a life as Jesus-like as possible. Be an example. Live your life as honorably as you can. You never know who's watching you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers